CALL FOR PAPERS:
THE SEVENTEENTH ArgDiaP CONFERENCE “Reasoned Argumentation. Legal, Computational and Linguistic Perspectives”
Jagiellonian University in Kraków, Department of Legal Theory, Spring 2021
co-organized with the ARGDIAP association
The exact dates to be determined soon, pursuant to the development of the COVID-19 pandemic situation and the resulting regulations.
For more than 10 years, the ARGDIAP conferences have provided an interdisciplinary forum for the presentation of research results in the field of argumentation studies. This year’s conference, located in the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, focuses on the broad notion of reasoned argumentation and emphasizes three perspectives to capture the role of reasons in argumentation: the legal one, the computational one and the linguistic one, and their numerous interconnections. This choice of the domain of topics enables to consider in particular the following questions: how can the reasons for accepting a conclusion be represented in formal models? How can the interaction of rational agents be modelled computationally? What are the formal criteria and meta-criteria of argument acceptance? What are the linguistic indicators of particular parts of argument? What types of reasons are there in the process of argumentation and how can we account for them? What are the current advances on natural language processing concerning argumentation? And how do these theoretical frameworks and models apply to the domain of legal reasoning? How do the specific features of legal language influence the process of argumentation? How should the specific constraints concerning legal settings be taken into account in the formal models of argumentation? The topics of the conference talks include, but are not limited to, the problems outlined above. The aim of the conference is to bring together computational argumentation experts, linguists, lawyers, cognitive scientists, psychologists and philosophers to discuss the issues emerging in the domain.
- Fabio Paglieri, Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Italy
- Henry Prakken, Intelligent Systems Group, Utrecht University, and Legal Informatics and Legal Argumentation at the Law Faculty, University of Groningen
The list of the invited speakers to be confirmed and extended.
- Bart Verheij, Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence, Faculty of Science and Engineering, University of Groningen
Program Committee TBA
- Michał Araszkiewicz, Department of Legal Theory, Jagiellonian University in Kraków
- Katarzyna Budzyńska, Warsaw University of Technology
- Marcin Koszowy, Warsaw University of Technology
- Tomasz Żurek, Marie Curie-Skłodowska University of Lublin
To be extended
The 17th ARGDIAP conference will be a part of a broader set of events jointly referred to as the Cracow Argumentation and Reasoning Days (CARD 2021). The call for workshops and information on other events will be announced soon.